Getting Started: Dot Journaling Supplies

My Mom first introduced me to dot journaling, thinking it would be something I would enjoy as I like to write and stay organized. (There is something so satisfying about being able to check a task off as completed on a to-do list, or keep to a schedule.) She had already purchased all the supplies, and a book, "Dot Journaling: A Practical Guide" by Rachel Wilkerson Miller. I highly recommend this book for first-time dot journalers as it clearly explains the concept behind dot journaling, and gives you ideas for how to lay out your own journal.



After reading the book (it look me about an hour to finish, but I'm a slow reader so it will probably take you less), I was excited to start. The notebook I began with, was a simple A5 dotted journal/travel journal which can be found on Amazon, a set of three being $10.95. And let me tell you, even though I filled that journal a while ago, I still miss it. It was my first one, after all.


Although they are not necessary, binders are really helpful not only by keeping the page flat when you are creating your spreads, but also when you are using the journal in its practical sense. The binders I use are from Target. I love how they come in different colors and patterns so that you can choose those that best reflect your style.


The best I saved for last! When dot journaling, some people will necessarily be fearful of making mistakes, and we all know that 99.9% of the time this happens when we have a pen in our hand. Buuuttt, this is easily corrected if you have a pen with an eraser! Yes, you read that right, such a thing exists! I love my erasable pens, and I am sure that when you write the wrong date or completely mess up on a spread you will love yours, too!


These four things are basically all you need to start dot journaling. And if you wish to make your journal more aesthetic, then I recommend purchasing washi tape as well; but it's all up to you and what you want your dot journal to be. You may be surprised at how little you need, but I am not kidding when I say this is it. Dot journaling is all about making life easier, and it would be a contradiction if it needed more than a few simple things to get started.


Comments